Thursday, February 6, 2014

Freak of Nature Review

Title: Freak of Nature (IFICS #1)

Author: Julia Crane

Publisher: Indie Inked

Publication Date: January 9th 2014

Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Romance

Pages: 284

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Synopsis: (Via GoodReads)

Donate Body to Science. Check.
When seventeen-year-old Kaitlyn checked the box, she never suspected she’d have her life–and her body–stolen from her. She awakens one day in a secret laboratory to discover that her body is now half-robot and is forced to hide her own secret: that she still has human emotions and a human mind. If the scientists who made her find out, they’ll erase what remains of who she was.

Kaitlyn finds an unlikely ally in Lucas, a handsome, brilliant scientist who can’t get over the guilt he feels knowing she was once a vibrant, beautiful young woman. He never expected a science project to affect him the way she does. As he tries to help her rediscover her past, he finds himself falling for the brave girl struggling to find her place and acceptance between the human and computer worlds.


The story follows Kaitlyn through her new life. She has no idea what happened to her before she became a cyborg. As the story goes on she learns more about her past and who she used to be. She has a best friend who helps her feel more human and a doctor who she loves. The doctor she loves is Lucas and we find out that he loves her to, but he believes that she does not feel human emotion anymore.

The story is in Kaitlyn and Lucas' p.o.v. I liked this, because I wondered what it was like for Lucas at some points and as a reader that curiosity was filled with the writing. I found myself losing focus throughout the book. it was a good book, but it did not jump out at me and it was just another read to add to the list. I liked the idea and some of the writing, but I found that it was not grabbing my attention like a book should.

At times I found the book to be a little cliche and that turned me off of it as well. I also found myself hating the main character at some points as well as Lucas.

No comments:

Post a Comment